Friday, October 18, 2013

Babies diving underwater at 8 weeks! Must see...

The introductory video to the New Active Baby Swimming Course, with my voice


Active Baby Swimming online video course is different from any other swimming program in the US in that the main objectives are not drown-proofing or swimming skills but the development and well being of the baby through the medium of water. And, that parents are encouraged to start baby swimming right after birth, from the time the umbilical cord is healed.  

Babies are reaping the benefits of baby swimming in Denmark while   parents in the US are told not to put our babies underwater until 6 months and even later!  We are discouraged from starting swimming early, waiting until our child is ready, oh! and don't let your baby swallow water...

In the first baby swimming lesson, you and your baby will perform several dives the first lesson.  You will also learn how to hold your baby in the water for various games and activities.  You will have fun and be amazed at what you and your baby can do!

Their success is supported by research on the "diving reflex" of newborn babies, and the evidence of 8 years of enthusiastic parent participation in the Nordic countries. 

"The basis of our unique approach is that the learning does not always depend on what the baby wants.  The mother learns the correct signals that affect the baby's state of mind in a positive direction.   Regardless of how the baby behaves or reacts, she is ready to praise the baby afterwards."

I have been following Allan and Birgitte Merrild of aquafeelings for more than a year on google plus and linkedIn, loving their pictures and videos of babies swimming underwater.  I wanted to know more, but all their writing and speaking was in Danish.  Then this summer, they started writing some posts in English.  

When I first looked at it, I loved the pictures and videos but the English read like it had been pasted straight from a translator.  I wanted them to be successful in their endeavors so I volunteered to help. 

I wanted to put my teaching experience in swimming and Spanish curriculum writing skills to good use.  I knew that they would not succeed if the English on their promotional material and program was not readable.  


They accepted my help and sent me the link to the videos that they had created.  I felt that God had called me to do this and thoroughly enjoyed learning as I watched the videos and re-wrote the script.  

I wanted to change as little as possible, so here is a short example of what I had to change when working on a section describing the dives:
"You can also choose to perform an extended dive with reverse grip, which is probably the most natural dives.
Mother runs her baby 3 times from stomach to back over water, followed by a dive with baby's head straight down and around under water, so the face end toward the mother of water."

I changed it to "You can also choose to perform the dive head first with the back hold where the parent moves the baby in the water while walking, which is probably the most natural dives.
The parent moves her baby 3 times from stomach to back over the water, giving the signal, followed by a dive with baby's head straight down under water, so the face ends toward the parent."

I also sent them a copy written with the changes so that they could see where the changes came from.  "You can also choose to perform the dive head first with the back hold where the parent moves the baby in the water while walking an extended dive with reverse grip, which is probably the most natural dives.
The parent moves runs her baby 3 times from stomach to back over water, giving the signal, followed by a dive with baby's head straight down and around under water, so the face ends toward the parent "of water."

There were parts that I did not understand at all even watching the video that went with it. Allan always patiently answered my questions with English that I knew came from a translator.  I tried to keep it simple and keep the flow and attitude of the writers.  

It took me a whole week but I finally was satisfied then I started the audio which I did using garage band.  The complete audio for the 31 instructional video clips was 45 minutes which they transferred to the videos right away, and they added my name to their website http://www.aquafeelings.net/about_aquafeelings.html.

So, watch these videos  and tell me what do you think?  Will it ever get popular in the US?

Watch the babies dive freely through the hoop.  Babies start at 2 months!


Watch baby and mother swim under water together!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for your fine work.

    You have a great understanding of baby swimming - and it is a pleasure to work with you.

    Birgitte & Allan Merrild
    Aqua Feelings
    Denmark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really your blog is so helpful for all moms who want to teach swimming to baby. Actually I am not satisfied to swimming school due to swim safety. But now no any need to go to swim school or hire any instructor. Now i am Just applying your blog swim tips for my baby swim learning. Thanks for sharing. I have never seen these above types of tips with free of cost. Once again thanks a lot for sharing
    zwemschool amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you like my posts. Also look for me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LearnToSwimWithMissBea and my website: and on my website in the lessons tab: http://swimbea.com/index.html

      Delete

What do you think? I want to hear your experiences and I promise to answer your questions and concerns!